What is Club Volleyball
Club volleyball is the organized formation of non-scholastic volleyball teams for the purposes of practice and competition. Almost all club volleyball programs associate with one or more governing organizations (USA Volleyball, AAU, JVA, Etc) in order to sanction their competitions.
Club volleyball programs vary in their size and purpose. Some clubs serve a very small niche (e.g. low commitment/developmental, high commitment/elitist, etc). Others, like the Illinois Juniors, provide a wide array of opportunities.
Club volleyball, in our area, holds tryouts in October/November. Our developmental, regional, and travel teams compete until the end of March. Our national teams compete until the end of June.
The Illinois Juniors provides 5 levels of training and competition within our club program:
- Developmental: For student-athletes 8-11 yrs old wanting to play on a club team that focuses on having fun, learning the game, and improving both individual and team skills (No competition further than 60 minutes away).
- Youth Regional: For student-athletes ages 10-14 yrs old wanting to play on a club team that provides the very best coaching, training, and competition, but within the confines of a local/regional competition schedule (No competition further than 90 minutes away).
- Youth National: For the “elite” student-athlete wanting to compete at the very highest level possible—competing and traveling at the national level to do so.
- High School Travel: For high school freshman, sophomores, and juniors wanting to train and compete at the very highest level during the Winter months and competing only in the states of Wisconsin and Illinois.
- High School National: For high school student-athletes wanting to train and compete at the very highest level possible –competing at the national level to do so. Many student-athletes in this program have the goal of playing at the collegiate level.
Unlike some other sports (e.g. football), club volleyball is the primary avenue for student-athletes to gain exposure to college scouts. Due to the fact that both the NCAA woman’s volleyball season and girl’s high school season are in the fall, very few NCAA programs recruit during the high school season. Accordingly, almost all evaluation and recruiting opportunities occur during the club volleyball season.
For more information or questions about club volleyball, contact Scott Mowery @ firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-867-0337.